When you’re a nurse who’s elbow-deep in charts and changing bedpans, it’s not easy to remember how much of a difference you’re making in people’s lives. In honor of Thanksgiving, here are some sweet stories patients have shared about nurses who went above and beyond.
1. Nurses keep their promises.
My husband was going through very difficult chemo for months. There was a nurse who went the extra mile by coming out of the infusion area, kneeled in front of my husband and promised it would be ok. She was correct ❤️— Linda Anderson (@andersonlinda22) May 7, 2018
2. Nurses hold parents’ hands through their worst nightmare.
Mother of twin 32 week premies here. Thank you and all NICU nurses for helping me and my babies. It was the most difficult time in my life. I am one of the lucky ones as both of babies made it. It was so impossible and overwhelming and I am so grateful for the NICU staff. ❤️— Lisa Bernard❄️? (@LisaABernard) April 28, 2019
3. Nurses make fighting cancer a little more comfortable.
4. Nurses care for people at the beginning of life, end of life — and everything in between.
5. Where would kids be without school nurses?!
6. Nurses are a light in a sea of darkness.
Thank you. I was one of those mothers when my daughter was born at 24 weeks and died immediately after. It was the worst day of my life until her father joined her 16 years later. I will never forget the kindness of the nurses and the chaplain.— Jacqueline Anderson (@Jacquel35983611) April 30, 2019
7. Nurses are beautiful souls.
8. Nurses skip breaks to care for patients, not to play cards.
I had complications from surgery @MontefioreNYC hospital and one of my nurses missed her meal break to care for me.— Michael O’Neill (@MichaelJONeill) April 25, 2019
I’ve NEVER met a nurse who had time to play games during a shift. Never. #ThankaNurse
9. Nurses have plenty to teach doctors.
What’s the kindest thing a patient has ever said to you? Share your thoughts in the comments below!